The temples of Khajuraho
a photo documentation
Navigation-map of the Khajuraho temple locations
30.04.2010 / last updated: 12.12.2010 (bug fix Kmap)
It was known as Vatsa in ancient time, Jejakabhukti in medieval times, and
Bundelkhand from 14th century on. Khajuraho played a significant role in indian history.
The Chandelas, who rose to power during the early 10th century AD., decorated their
Capital at Khajuraho with tanks and temples according to the local tradition.
There have been up to 85 temples originally, but now only around 25 remained and stand in
varying stages of preservation.
The place lost its importance around 1500 AD.
Most of these temples are built of sandstone, except the Chausath Yogini, Brahma and Lalguan Mahadeva, which are constructed of granite. The temples belong to the Shiva, Vaishnava and Jaina sects and they mark the culmination of the central indian building style revealing distinctive peculiarities of plan and elevation. These compact temples without any enclosure walls are erected on a high platform. Normally the temples consists of a Garbhgriha, Antarala, Mandapa and Ardhamandapa.
The Khajuraho temples mark the highest development of indian architectural design. The sculptures represented at Khajuraho include the cult-images, Parivara Devatas, Apsaras or Sura-Sundaris, secular and animal sculptures and their maturity can be seen at Kandariya Mahadeva temple, which displays tall and slender figures with distinctive physiognomy.
The erotic figures have given us the finest sculptural compositions, which vibrate with a rare sensitiveness and warmth of emotion and are remarkable for their sculptural quality.
The most important temples at Khajuraho include Lakshmana, Vishvanatha, Kandariya Mahadeva, Jagadambi, Chitragupta, Chaturbhuja, Duladeo, Ghantai etc.
[source: archaeological survey of india]